Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Landscape Painting Materials


Artist Easel



1.Testrite 100. Most Art Stores, Utrect has them. $60/ 70.
Best easel I've found. I see now called 3x3 in some catalogs.

(this easel has been discontinued I would get one at Utrecht Art Supplies On line)
Something like the above. Although there are easels supplied it is good to have your own.


2. Canvases. Most are too cheap for me to make a painting on and are not substantial for a finished product. I'd use the linen primed pre-made canvases to make sure you have best quality. Of course I suppose cost is a factor.

Have a bunch I'd say at least 6 small, around 15 x 20 ". Larger canvases 20 x 30 is a good size, some smaller some larger, 6 more. At least 10 total. (If they are the "same sizes" they are easier to travel with as we staple two wet canvases together holding them apart with cardboard strips.)

Try a longer more horizonal size like two squares together make 20 x 40" or 10 x 20. Square canvases are a bit static.

Usually in my classes we  try to make two paintings a day. Two to three hours a sitting.



My own canvases are made by myself. These are made of 1/8" plywood birch or luan. With 1 x 2" wood supports. I glue wood strips and nail with brads until glue dries. I use remnants of #10 or 12 canvas used for my larger paintings. It makes the finished painting more substantial physically.





Canvas Stretcher

3. Gesso



Golden Gesso is the best. Beware of inexpensive gesso, it is too absorbent.

Urecht's Pro Grade OK, but I give a final coat of Golden, though expensive, it has the nicest finish.

2' House paint for latex brush

sandpaper


4. A gallon of Gamsol. The school will keep a supply if we need more.



I keep a second empty can with lid, to recycle the Gamsol it is expensive but is relatively non toxic and can be used over and over, the paint settling out.

A word about the medium. Turpentine is not used anymore in group situations. It evaporates and is toxic over a time. Gamsol is a great substitute it is different than paint thinner as it is further refined. Turpenoid is not as good and also makes some ill, so we don't use it either.

Galkyd is a painting medium. It is a alkyd substitute for linseed oil and damar varnish. Gamsol is not strong enough to dissolve Damar and so is not used with Gamsol.

5. A quart of Galkyd paint medium.

A can for Galkyd I use a Italian Tomato sauce larger or Campbells size soup can.



6. For Gamsol I use a Pizza sauce large size can. A funnel is handy to recycle in another can.

One doesn't want to be stingy with either of these mediums. Glass Jars to carry smaller amounts.




7. Brushes-- I use 6 of each white bristle filberts of 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12. Utrect has a good inexpensive brush. Simmons, Grumbacher become expensive. You can get away with 2 of each, as many as you want, I have 6 of each so I don't clean my brushes as I paint which takes up time.



8. These are 1 1/2" brushes from commercial Paint store to cover larger areas.




9. A large palette



16x 24" is a good size make a thumb hole with a jigsaw. Use 1/4 inch ply birch or mahoganey luan.

There are no good Palettes like mine above, which is 15 years old-- that I've found. I used to cut them into that shape with a jigsaw? Its up to you.

Can be just a rectangular piece. I hardly ever hold my pallette anyway. If you rub it with a little Galkyd, let it dry, it will not be absorbent.



10. Cotton Rags, I get terry cloth Bath towels, from thrift store, cut up.

11. Paper towels The  main thing is to get any wayward paint before it travels.

12. Baby wipes are great to clean up face and hands.

13. Clips large hardware store type are always handy to secure things from the wind.



14. Saran wrap
or plastic bags to seal up galkyd and put over paint if one doesnt use each day.

15. Plyers, sometimes handy, screw driver? and utility knife, measuring tape, and pencil.

16. Staple gun, Arrow Brand heavy duty, 5/16 size staple .






17. A scraper to clean pallette each day. This is a necessary item to clean palette.



Bring Hat, sunscreen, sunglasses and drinking water.

18. I use the blue gloves from Home Depot now they are comfortable and easy.




Then,

a milk crate or cardboard Box or Knapsack that carries supplies or chair. Make sure you can concisely throw it all into someones car or walk a little distance with it, like camping. Have glass jars for  Gamsol and Galkyd with lids.

The idea is to travel as light as possible. I have alot of stuff and I am pretty much stuck with my car, because I tend to paint larger.

The wind is a big problem and one doesnt want stuff to blow away as one paints so "clips"above are good.

Here's the whole list:




Landscape Painting Supplies
I recommend ordering from Utrecht  online.
I recommend Utrect, Gamblin paint.
Oil Paint:
Titanium/ Zinc mix White. At least 2 tubes large
37ml. Small tubes are ok but buy large, 150ml if you plan to continue on your own. 
One each:
Burnt Umber
Burnt Sienna
Yellow Ochre
Alizarin Crimson
Napthol or Cadmium red Light Hue, or Permanent Red
Cerulean Blue
Ultramarine Blue 
Chromium Oxide Green (this is a grey green and goes by different names)
small Viridian we dont use much of this
Cadmium Yellow hue light and 
Cadmium Yellow Medium, or 
or Hansa Yellow and Hansa Yellow Deep
( these yellows one Lt and one deep, real cadmium oil is expensive and poisonous but covers best, up to you, see my blog for more discussion)
Mars/ Ivory Black mix
Easel--Testright 100-- discontinued, so something similar, pictured above. Or any other is fine, some may have a French style box easel outfitted with small tubes of paint. I myself use larger quantities of everything and they dont fit in box drawers so I dont use one, but it is a good solution if you like to make smaller paintings.

Canvases around 15 x 20 ", 20 x 30" some smaller some larger, horizonal for landscape.
We will probably make 10 paintings. Buy these or make yourself. (see blog)

Utrecht Studio Series stretched canvas, 3/4 or 5/8" inch profile would be my preference.

Cheaper not to be precious, more expensive if you know what you are doing.

I myself make my own as above.
Gamsol gallons and Painting medium Galkyd Qts  (I will order and supply for class)
Filbert brushes as many as you wish 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12  You can do with 2 of each, I use more.
Blick Masterstroke is what I use.
2 @ 1 1/2" brush for large areas, for larger paintings .
Palette 16 x 24 " I will  supply. 1/4 " Luan Plywood.
3"paint scraper to clean palette  or large palette knife
Cotton Rags towels from thrift store.
Paper towels, and Baby wipes (good for hands)
Clips from Hardware store see blog- to keep things from blowing away in wind.
Saran Wrap
also maybe:
pliers, screw driver, utility knife, measuring tape, pencil
Must:
Hat sunscreen and water
Knap sack or crate to carry materials
please email me at gregorybotts (at) gmail.com if you have questions, that is @. I write so, as not to get spam here.
also see my blog here:

No comments: